Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Tools & Coconuts: A Laser & Feelings hack

Ever wondered about what it would be like to be stranded on a tropical island? Of course you have. We all have! Well, today you are in luck. Because now you can play out that little thought-experiment with:



What is Tools & Coconuts? Tools & Coconuts is a hack of Ray Otus's Sorcerers & Sellswords (which itself is a hack of John Harper's Lasers & Feelings) that whisks you away to survive on a tropical island. Will you last long enough to be rescued? Or die from exposure, starvation, dehydration, a wild animal, or a poisonous plant? Play and see!



So...yeah.

Tools & Coconuts is the product of a night spent reading over Lasers & Feelings, Sorcerers & Sellswords, Tactical Waifu, and few other L&S hacks. During that time I kept imagining quite a few different ideas for my own L&S hack. Even as I lied in bed, I still was having game ideas; an Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider hack, a Redwall hack, Disney's Gargoyles.

When I sat at my computer this morning, I decided to write out one of my ideas: a L&S hack about wilderness survival. But as I started writing, I focused on the tropical island scenario rather than an all-encompassing survival hack. T&C uses much of the text from Ray Otus's Sorcerers & Sellswords. Except for how you create a character and rules for sorcery, T&C pretty much uses the text from Ray Otu's Sorcerers & Sellswords, just re-written to better fit the theme of surviving on a tropical island.

For a good idea on what I was going for, try watching the tv show Gilligan's Island, and the movies Cast Away and Six Days, Seven Nights. Or if you are particular to video games, try playing Stranded Deep.

No comments: